In-SHAPE - Shaping the future of Mental Health
Exercise & Nutrition Wellness Program
Justin McHugh, BA, CPT, CMT
WHAT IS In-SHAPE?
In-SHAPE is a wellness program designed especially for people who have a severe mental illness.
- Improve physical health
- Increase quality of life
- Reduce the risk of diseases
- Enhance length of life
- Teach ways to reduce stress
In-SHAPE helps you learn to set fitness goals. It helps you exercise. It teaches you how to eat healthy. In-SHAPE also teaches you how to pay attention to your medical needs. Every 12 or 24 weeks, the In-SHAPE health mentor will host a small celebration rewarding each person for doing a great job.
Exercise- Your Health Mentor will:
- Monitor your exercise program
- Go with you to the gym
- Give home exercise programs
- Teach about home exercise equipment
- Show how to use exercise
- Show how to perform low impact exercises without equipment
Nutrition- Your Health Mentor will:
- Show how to make a healthy shopping list
- Teach how to shop and cook
- Review your weekly food log
- Teach healthy eating habits
To join In-Shape you must:
- Receive services from your local County Community Mental Health in Lapeer, Sanilac or St. Clair.
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a severe mental illness
- and have one or more of the following:
- Cardiovascular Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Diabetes (Type I or II)
- Obesity (BMI 30 or greater)
If you or someone you know is interested in the In-SHAPE program, talk to your case manager or clinician.
How In-SHAPE supports recovery:
- Offers a choice for a wellness program
- Encourages personal control and skill over one's physical health
- Each person feels valued, welcomed and accepted
- Core values of hope, choice and personal responsibility
- Focuses on the link between physical and mental healthcare